Are you using cheap speakers, with no remote? Or display to look at which song is next? Or can’t play/create a playlist?
What if I told you can do more with your old cheap speakers, Using SBC or Single board computer like Asus Tinker Board or Raspberry Pi. To do this project I’m using my Asus Tinker Board, Volumio Audiophile and my Old speakers.
To get started, download Audiophile Zip and follow simple steps below.
FIRST: FLASH IT
- Once download has finished, you’ll have a zip file
- Extract the downloaded zip file and you’ll have a .img image file
- Download and extract Win32DiskImager
- Insert the MicroSD Card on your computer, you could use an external card reader or the SD slot if your computer has one.
- Check that the device name corresponds to the microSD card, then browse the files and select choose the image file you want to write.
- To be safe, unplug every External USB Drive you may have connected to your PC
- When ready click on Write and wait for the process to complete
- Exit from Win32DiskImageWriter and eject the SD card
- Done! Volumio is now on your SD Card!
SECOND: PREPARE TINKER BOARD
- Insert the SD Card into the Device
- Plug the Ethernet Cable
- Connect the USB DAC, otherwise, plug your Audio connection of choice (like basic 3.5mm jack)
- Connect your USB Hard Drive, if any
- Connect any other device you may want to use (USB HUB, Wi-Fi Dongle, etc.)
- Power the device on
THIRD: CONNECT TO THE BOARD
- Type volumio.local/ on your Device’s browser (has to be connected to the same Network as Volumio)
- Ready! You are now using Volumio’s WebUI. From here you can configure it and control music playback.
FINAL: ENJOY IT
- Configure Volumio from the WebUI, if you wish to use your NAS as storage
- Change the parameters as you wish, to tailor your music experience.
- Sit in your sweet spot. Tune the volume. Relax. This is music.